1. I don’t sing OR I am not a good singer OR I THINK I can’t sing as good as I wish
- You should sing and record if you think you are not a very good singer. Improvement happens with a combination of being serious about singing, doing some vocal training, and recording. Recording and listening to my own voice is probably what helps improving our vocals the most.
- I was 26 years old when I started recording and sequencing. It is no coincidence that since then my vocals started improving and am able to sing the way you find at the site. Intention gets stronger when you start recording and listening to yourself.
- Then there is much more objectivity when listening to your voice as a listener, a third party, an observer.
- Human brain, mind, body – let us not underestimate it. Allow yourself time with the needed equipment and have an idea of what makes good practice, and things start falling in place. I am not a very good singer. But the point is, I was not considering singing at all till i was 27. From there if i can put up youtube videos of singing with guitar, YOU TOO CAN.
- If you want to sing. You should. It doesn't matter if someone else sings better than you – if you don’t sing, your unique song never gets heard. It is your right to do what you want as long as you are not actively hurting anyone. Who cares so much about us and what we do, anyway, that we let ourselves live restricted lives based on imaginary unpleasant social results?
- Keeping on working even when you are not as good as you want to be, till you have the understanding of how to make it good and the skill to execute it : isn’t that all there is to it when it comes to learning and doing something worthwhile? Malcolm Gladwell talks about the relation between time spent and virtuosity in Outliers: The Story of Success
2. I don’t know how to record with computer or how easy it is.
a. Multi track recording and producing in a computer is done with software programs known as Sequencers. Nuendo, Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, Protools, Audacity, Adobe Audition etc are examples of popularly used sequencers.
b. How to install a specific sequencer : Instructions to install a software comes along with the software or its document or its site.
c. whether it is audacity (open source, free) or Nuendo (what I use), the internet is a very good source for instructions, tips, trouble shooting. In my experience any trouble shooting can be done with forum questions that have already been answered. All the main sequencer softwares have very helpful forums where someone who represents the software officially will be active and answering. After all without customer satisfaction is what keeps them in business.
d. If you really want me to give you tips for you particular sequencer, request me and we will find a way.
e. In conclusion, using a sequencer is as easy as using any other software. In our case the book will tell you what you should do with the sequencer and other effect plugin software (Harder part). We just have to find 'how' in the particular sequencer. Making that information available and making the User Interface user friendly is a responsibility of the manufacturer, which all the main ones are doing very well.
3. I am not a sound engineer, all sound engineering is alien to me
a. Have you seen people at muziboo.com ? wonderful how many of them just started and got pretty good. Adithi
and Sowmya at Muziboo
are very good examples
b. I give you details on how to choose hardware, how to set them up, how to prepare for recording – singer & sequencer, how to hold the mic and sing, how to get the best sound with what we have, the recording part, mixing, the effects explained, how to use the effects (the core part) … Basically all that you have to know to set you on the right track without having to try and err, hit or miss.
b. We will be using SM58 (less than Rs.5000 new) economic but good sound cards (Rs.4000 up new). You probably already have a computer or laptop. Headphones (Rs.1000, Rs.2000 new… I use Rs.7000 headphones and not upgrading). I have mixed with computer speakers using the headphone for details and decisions. Having a good monitor speaker is good, which you can decide upon later. That is if you are into full mixing, sound engineering more than a hobby – then probably you can anyway invest on it.
c. And… look for used – the second hand prices are so low for some really good stuff…