Looking for a midi keyboard for midi programming? To use with VST instruments? Maybe a midi keyboard with lot of easily accessible controls for life performance?
Here are 9 features to look for when buying a midi keyboard.
- number of keys
- assignable midi controllers – crossfaders, sliders, knobs, pads
- mode of connecting – USB midi keyboard or connect the keyboard through midi IN and OUT of the audio interface or midi interface.
- spring-loaded or weighted feel for the keys
- velocity sensitivity and after touch
- sturdiness, especially if traveling with it is a concern
- pitch-bend and modulation control
- power – USB powered? Power adaptor?
- Availability of drivers (which is usually not a problem).