Subscriber only Material :
- Start recording your music now – Workbook
- Raga Swaras on Guitar App
- Start playing the guitar – Clarity on Where and How to begin
- Useful Music Theory for Beginner Musicians
- What’s Your Newsletter Preference?
Start recording your music now – Workbook
Can we really make professional recordings with affordable equipment?
Think about it this way. Think about a master sound engineer / producer who usually does his work at a fully equipped studio. When he works with minimal equipment in his bedroom, will his work sound amateurish and useless or will his skill shine through? “It is not about the camera” borrowing it from light capturers.
Example cost and viability: There are very good sound cards for as low as Rs.6000 (≅$120). Save Rs.100 a day and you have 6000 rupees in two months. SM58 mic comes for around Rs.5000 (≅$100). If you look for used equipment, they come even cheaper. It is possible for most of us to get the equipment and start recording our music.
Start recording your music – Room and Equipment worbook will get you started with the right questions on room, computer, microphone, headphones/ studio monitors.
p.s. Also includes link to My Toolkit pdf, which explains the home recording equipment and room setup i use.
Raga Swaras on Guitar App
Click on the image to use the demo app (the full version has all the melakartas and a big janya raga list. The subscriber version has all the melakartas.)
The Indian Raga to Guitar Fretboard mapping app lets you drag and drop root notes to any string and fret of your choice, set the raga that you want and see three different possible fingering patterns.
Use the app's swara showing function for the raga of your choice, and play any classical composition on the guitar using freely available swaras sheets.
When you load the page, the app will give you hints about the usage, through overlay text,which will go away as soon as you click and start using. It's pretty cool! 🙂
Want to map a raga on the guitar fretboard?
- Decide what you want to play or which raga to map
- For example if you want to play a geetam in malahari. Malahari is a janya raga of Mayamalavagowla.
- Look for Mayamalavagowla in the Melakarta list
- Which root to do you want to start from?
- Which string should have the root?
- Drag and drop the Red Sa button to the root and fret of your choice
- Try the three fingering patterns.
- To show the swaras, click on the Swaras button, to show the notes, click on the Notes button.
Start playing the guitar – Clarity on Where and How to begin
- Which guitar and Styles of music?
- Types of guitar for you to choose from
- Playing Indian music on guitar
- Playing Rhythm guitar
- What to look for when buying a guitar?
- How to start playing the guitar
- 9 more articles on playing the guitar
- Learn to play the guitar, playing what matters
Useful Music Theory for Beginner Musicians
Help with your understanding of music – first step towards arranging, composing, chord playing.
What you get :
- Music theory for Beginner Musicians
- Learning the language
- The Sequence of notes
- Actions or exercises
- Interval naming
- The interval sequence
- Why not just 1,2,3?
- Tone and semi tone
- What is the use of tone and semi tone?
- Scales – Major scale
- Major scale as a pattern of tone and semi tone
- Major scale as a pattern of intervals
- The intervals of C major scale
- About Chords
- Chord spelling
- The very useful set of triad chords from each note of major scale